This past June, as part of a 30 year tradition, we met up a the Detroit Athletic Club to deliver the 2015 Urban Solutions Scholarship awards. This year, Detroit high school students submitted close to 100 applications. The applicant pool was one of the most impressive we’ve seen in years. We received applications from high schools all over cite. The applicants are pursuing careers in business, medicine, science, politics, law, technology and social work. One common theme was a desire to return to the community to provide opportunities to help other young people pursue positive and productive lives.
While we wish we could support to every one of them, we had to choose just a few. After and exhaustive examination of the applications followed be in-person interviews, the list was narrowed to the 18 students who would most benefit from this award. As tuition cost rise each year, it is often the external expenses that can determine a student’s success or failure. Our awards aim to aid these recipients in managing this expenses.
U of D
We couldn’t have offered this level of support without the help of all of our online donors and our Scholarship Sponsors:
- The Pressley Green Scholarship
- The Herman B. Howard Scholarship
- Sommers Schwartz Scholarship
- Joel and Delta Gibson Scholarship
- Judge Alex J. Allen Scholarship
- Bennie Grier ESQ. Scholarship
- The Technician Award
- Detroit Area Agency on Aging Scholarship
- Communities in Schools, Sonja Allen, CEO
- Vincent and Betty Little Scholarship
- Henry Ford Medical Systems